In order to be a donor, you must:
- Be the ages of 18-44(If you are under 18 years old, click here).
Patients especially need donors who are between the ages of 18 and 44. That’s because younger donors produce more and higher-quality cells than older donors. Individuals between 18 to 44 years old, who meet the general health requirements, can sign up at any live drive. However, individuals between the ages of 45 to 60 years old must register online, marrow.org . Learn more about why are younger donors preferred, here
- Have no serious, ongoing lower back problems
- Be in good general health (Please refer to our Medical Guidelines)
Requirements to be a marrow donor are different from those to be a blood donor.
Where do I register?
You can register in one of three ways:
- Visit a local drive near you. Check our CALENDAR for a list of drives.
- Call or e-mail AADP for a HOME-TEST KIT if you cannot attend a drive. We will ask you a series of questions, and then send you a kit if you still qualify. Kits are fully funded through a special grant for anyone of all or partial ethnic minority descent. Click on the video link above to view the donor registration process.
- Visit our office in Alameda (address on bottom of page) to register in person or register at http://join.bethematch.org/AADP If you are planning to visit our office please make an appointment.
For Southern California, visit A3M,
For New York, visit South Asian Marrow Assoc. of Recruiters,
For other parts of the U.S., visit marrow.org,
Information you need on your consent form:
On your consent form you will need to provide:
- Your general information, including your SS No. OR Driver’s License No.
- The information of two (2) contacts (friends or relatives) who do not live with you and who do not live with each other.
Consent Form process: watch video, here
Provide a cheek swab:
A sample of your tissue type is collected by a swab of cheek cells.Your tissue sample will be sent to Be The Match registry and use the results to match you to patients.
If you request a home test kit from AADP, you will receive your kit by mail. You will find easy to follow instructions inside your kit. A video instructions is also available to you, here:
Buccal Swabbing process: watch video, here
Your commitment is important:
When you join the Be The Match Registry, you make a commitment to:
- Be listed on the registry until your 61st birthday, unless you ask to be removed
- Consider donating to any searching patient who matches you
- Keep us updated if your address changes, you have significant health changes or you change your mind about being a donor
- Respond quickly if you are contacted as a potential match for a patient
You have the right to change your mind about being a donor at any time. Donating is always voluntary.
If you decide you do not want to donate, let us know right away. That way we can continue the search for another donor without dangerous delays for the patient.